Electrical-Optical Engineer - Hickory, NC
One of the world’s leaders in materials science, our client has an opening for a Measurements Engineer to work onsite in Hickory, NC. While this is a contract position for six months will possibility of extension. Imagine everything that you could learn to advance your career while working at a company with a 166–year track record of creating life-changing inventions. This position seeks talented candidates who will put the customer at the center of everything they do. Inquire about this opportunity and you could end up on a diverse and inclusive team where you’ll not only be valued but feel inspired to give your all to get the job done.Description:
Measurements Engineer II
Hours of work/work schedule/flex-time:
Scope of Position:
This position requires knowledge in fiber optics manufacturing processes to provide technical leadership and support to engineering groups, needs strong technical curiosity across many technologies, and the ability to learn and desire to work with others for the progress of the business. As part of a regional team, this position provides measurement solutions to our client's Optical Connectivity business to deliver best in class products to our customers.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Work across a variety of functional groups to define, develop and implement test and inspection optical systems.
- Lead or participate in projects for cost reduction, process improvements to address measurement cycle time reduction, equipment cost/availability or improve quality and yield issues.
- Design experiments and analyze data to identify and implement measurement integrity and efficiency improvements to measurement systems for fiber optical assemblies, prototype and volume manufacturing.
- Develop, procure, build, and install test equipment for capacity expansion needs.
- Develop measurement uncertainty / measurement system analysis techniques to ensure proper measurement system application and capability.
- Measurement technology transference from other location or participate/lead deployment to Regional facilities.
- Develop and manage documentation in support of measurement system deployments including machine specifications, operating procedures, and drawing packages.
- Train plant engineering, maintenance and operation associates on use and maintenance of measurement systems.
- Equipment repair and mechanical/optical troubleshooting and/or advice local resources on ways to improve maintenance and repair operations.
- Management of execution of short term solutions.
Required Education, Years and Area of Experience:
- BS in Optical Science / Engineering, Mechanical, Electrical Engineering, Physics, or Mechatronics.
- 3+ years of work experience in measurement engineering, process engineering, development or related area.
- MS or PhD in Optics Sciences, Metrology or similar would be considered as a substitute for years of experience.
- Problem solving skills, able to define hypothesis and problem statements.
- Experience with Measurement Uncertainty Analysis, Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility (GR&R), and/or Measurement System Analysis (MSA).
- FMEA, PFMEA or Causal tree analysis applications and use of SPC, comparative methods and DOE.
- General computer, networking, database, and data systems knowledge.
- Strong initiative and self-motivated.
- Strong project management skills to manage multiple projects and tasks in parallel.
- Work effectively in technical project teams in both leadership and team member roles.
- Application of Lean methodologies and DMAIC tools.
- Comfortable generating and delivering updates to leadership on a routine basis.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills.
- Prefer bilingual candidates with Spanish & English
Scientific curiosity and an inventive spirit.
- Demonstrated application of measurement science in the fields of fiber optics, surface profiling interferometry, microcospy, optical refractometry and/or other optical or physical measurement disciplines.
- Working knowledge of the integration of measurement systems into a global information technology and data systems architecture.
- Understanding of manufacturing principals and experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Working and demonstrated applied knowledge of fiber optic cable assembly measurement equipment related but not limited to: optical attenuation, reflectometry, surface profile interferometery, and video microscopy (end-face inspection).
- Experience with computer-based measurement or automation equipment, design, setup, and support.
- Experience with the manufacture of fiber optic components, including manufacturing and measurement processes.
- Machine Vision system development for manufacturing inspection applications (optics, lighting, cameras, image acquisition, and basic knowledge of image processing algorithms).
- Experience using CAD software for generation of mechanical assemblies and drawings, optical and electrical schematics, and general design layouts.
- Demonstrated use of advance software for modeling and/or statistical analysis (e.g. MatLab and ZMax).
- General SQL knowledge.
- Basic knowledge and application of computer programming language (Labview &/or Visual NET).
- Basic knowledge in PLC programming.
- Instrument cycle time study experience.
Prefer candidates have experience in optical fiber metrology.
Prefer bilingual candidates: Spanish & English
United States of America
Online / Full App
Folder Group ID
Apply for this Position
Job Title: Electrical-Optical Engineer
Location: Hickory, NC
Job Type: Temp Position
Reference ID: 323267
Posted Date: 4/25/2018