Sensors Engineer - Sterling Heights, MI
Wheeled Lethality Sights & Sensors Engineer
Sterling Heights Mi.
– Engineering Specialist / Contractor
Perform design, integration, verification, & sustainment of electro-optic systems:
- Support concept to production phases, including architecture analysis, trade studies, requirements analysis, engineering reviews, design, integration/test, & qualification test
- Support component selection, procurement, and oversight of hardware build
- Create detailed specifications, ICD's, and test plans for sensors and electro-optic products
- Review and develop hardware and software/firmware requirement documents and test plans
- Evaluate optical design and analysis utilizing standard optical tools such as Zemax, Night Vision Integrated - Performance Model (NV-IPM)
- Design, develop, and test optical components and subsystems in support of integration of thermal imaging systems, color and monochrome high resolution cameras, lasers, radar, direct-view optics, and stabilized control systems, plus electronics to interact with such products
- Design using high and low speed digital communications standards (e.g., RS-232,
RS-422/485, VME, CAN, Ethernet/GigE, TCP/IP, UDP, USB)
- Support the integration & testing of sights and electro-optical sensors on various vehicle platforms
- Support box-level & subsystem-level verification/qualification tests as required, including environmental test.
- Perform laboratory & vehicle integration/test to investigate & troubleshoot sights and electro-optical sensor issues, or to release new/modified designs in this area. Such tasks involve complex functionality & interfaces, plus require use of special test equipment (e.g., oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, Ethernet/RS-422/etc. bus monitors, custom-created equipment). In support of such tests, author detailed test plans/procedures up front & document results via test reports upon completion.
- Work with outside suppliers in cases where functionality under scrutiny is “buy” instead of “make.”
- Support fielding and production sites to investigate/resolve issues.
- Work with other members of the engineering staff to ensure products meet requirements
- Prepare and present written reports, status reports, and presentations as necessary
- Provide technical support and communication with peers and leadership
- Support internal & external technical reviews and status meetings, coordinating & presenting as required. Must maintain excellent rapport with internal & external customers during project execution.
- Identify technical, schedule, & cost risks early during project execution & contribute mitigations or work-arounds.
10 years of applicable experience, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Optics, or Electro-Optical Engineering. Fewer years are required with an advanced degree. Other technical degrees may be considered with relevant experience. Advanced degree and/or additional certifications in same or complementary fields beneficial.
- Job primarily in the office. Travel to customer, field, production, or supplier facilities occasionally required, including both domestic & international destinations. Durations typically <=1 week. Infrequently >=2 weeks.
- Experience with electronics & optical system design, plus sensor integration, required.
- Experience with CAD tools (e.g., Pro-E) desired.
- Experience with physical and geometrical optics.
- Experience with microcontrollers.
- Experience with basic optics laboratory skills, including precise alignment and calibration procedures.
- Flexibility to adapt experience to support new applications/platforms.
- Experience with analog and digital video required (e.g., RS-170, HD-SDI, LVDS, DVI, DisplayPort, 3G SDI, 6G SDI).
- Familiarity with Military Standards beneficial.
- Ability to use engineering development and test tools required.
- Experience in production and fielding environments beneficial.
- DOORS experience beneficial for requirements analysis, decomposition, and traceability.
- Occasional overtime, weekend, holiday, & off-hours work may be required to complete time-critical tasks.
- Occasionally must lift and carry test equipment weighing 30 lbs.
- Must meet Anthropomorphic Size Restriction (ASR) requirements to work inside turrets & military vehicles.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required.
- Must be capable of obtaining or maintaining a U.S. Secret Clearance for work on sporadic classified projects and/or for access to restricted locations.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work with interdisciplinary teams.
- Strong multi-tasking skills.
Sterling Heights, MI
United States of America
Engineering / Engineering
Folder Group ID
Apply for this Position
Job Title: Sensors Engineer
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Job Type: Temp Position
Reference ID: 332379
Posted Date: 7/20/2018