Field Safety Manager - Alameda, CA
Our clients primary focus is on the construction and repair of wooden ships. Their commitment to quality construction and repair is widely recognized throughout the commercial vessel community. That reputation is well-known to experienced owners.
The Field Safety Manager is responsible for developing and managing an effective and compliant safety program for all production crafts, shops and field activity, including safety standards, training, inspections and enforcement. This position is also responsible for continual improvement of the field aspects of the company’s return to work program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Monitor and control work-sites to ensure safe work conditions. When necessary, stop & prevent unsafe actions or unsafe use of equipment or tools.
• Develop new or revised safety programs or policies; prepare recommendations and implement those which meet approval. Establish target areas and long-range accident prevention and cost-control objectives.
• Work with Project Managers on initialized projects to develop and maintain an effective Project Safety Plan for each new project and for each change order associated with that project.
• Plan and direct safety and industrial hygiene services to obtain optimum, efficient and effective service.
• Manage Confined Space, Shipyard Competent Person and Lockout/Tagout (LOTO) programs to ensure that all are conducted in accordance with OSHA regulations and policy.
Facilities and Equipment Safety
• Ensure that all company property and worksite fire protection complies fully with all applicable regulations. Manage the placement and routine servicing of fire extinguishers on company property and worksites.
• Monitor and control company facilities and equipment to ensure full compliance with OSHA regulations and policy.
Injury & Illness Prevention Program (IIPP) Management
• Manage a First Aid Program to ensure that any response in the event of a workplace injury or illness meets all applicable regulations.
• Manage an effective reporting and incident investigations program. Provide the HR Department all data needed in support of workers compensation claim processing, near misses and safety policy violations.
• Periodically review injury logs and workers’ compensation loss runs to identify trends and specific problem areas; collaborate with the HR Manager and Shop/Project Managers to ensure effective corrective action and cost control.
• Monitor personnel light or restricted duty and work with the HR Manager to effectively manage the Return to Work Program.
• Recruit, develop and effectively manage a high performance staff.
• Accomplish timely and effective personnel evaluations.
• Manage grievances, discipline and personnel issues effectively.
• Develop and maintain effective procedures and a productive, positive working environment.
• Develop, monitor and control department budgets to meet annual objectives.
• Effectively manage all safety documentation, procedures and the Safety Manual.
• Develop or revise procedures and work instructions as necessary to provide for the effective management of all craft and shop department activities.
• Provide reports and data to EHS Manager for OSHA or regulatory bodies for compliance, reporting, inspections and/or citations.
• Provide Field Health & Safety guidance to appropriate partners
• Assist and support other managers and departments as appropriate.
• Accomplish additional tasks as assigned and as necessary for the success of the organization.
• Routinely contribute to the continual improvement of the organization.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
• Bachelor's degree in safety engineering, mechanical engineering, or related field
• Certified Safety Professional (CSP) status
• Ten years' professional safety experience in heavy industrial industry
• Strong verbal, written, analytical, and persuasive skills and the ability to interact effectively with all levels of employees and management.
United States of America
Human Resources/Training / Human Resources
Direct Hire Position
Folder Group ID
Apply for this Position
Job Title: Field Safety Manager
Location: Alameda, CA
Job Type: Direct Hire Position
Reference ID: 338845
Posted Date: 9/11/2018