Corporate Controller - Irvine, CA
Job Title: Corporate Controller
Reports To: CFO
Required experiences: US GAAP financial reporting and management roles and 3+ years in position equivalent to a controller or higher preferred
A controller will report directly to the CFO and will be responsible for maintaining the accounting records. This position will also help CFO for the major undertaking of the NASDAQ IPO by 2019.
The corporate controller will handle high-level accounting, managerial accounting, and oversee accounting and financial functions of the company. As head of the accounting department, corporate controller will manage and supervise all aspects of accounting from payroll to tax compliance as well as development of internal control policies, procedures, and financial planning as needed.
Primary responsibilities include supervision of the monthly close process, accounts payable, monitoring payroll process done by HR, preparation of all information requested by an external auditor for the year-end audit, and monthly reporting of financial information for the management.
• Act as a corporate controller, the position is responsible to develop and maintain all accounting policies and procedures.
• Responsible for managing all aspects of accounting; bookkeeping, financial statements, general ledger, cost accounting, payroll, accounts payable, cash reconciliation, budgeting, tax compliance, inventory accounting, revenue recognition, and various special analyses.
• Responsible for maintaining all accounting records and lead/manage monthly/quarterly/annual financial closing and internal financial reports for the management.
• After the IPO, the controller will be responsible for supervising SEC Filing Manager (to be hired in near future) who will work on the external financial reports, including all Forms 8-K, 10-K, 10-Q and other, quarterly and annual Forms, required to be filed with SEC.
• Work with accounting team and IT team, develop, improve and maintain accounting system and software and reporting tools.
• Work with accounting team to improve an efficiency of all accounting functions and procedures.
• Play major roles to develop and maintain adequate internal control and managing audit process. (annual audit and quarterly review process with outside auditors)
• As a key member of the accounting team, provide leadership role to materialize CFO vision and achieving financial goals including effective and efficient accounting operation
• Respond to CFO as assigned with accurate and timely work to facilitate his financial needs.
• Communicate with co-workers, management, and others in a courteous and professional manner.
• Maintains high ethical standards in the work place.
• Reports all irregular financial and accounting issues and problems and make recommendations to the CFO for solutions in timely manner.
• Complies and maintains confidentiality of all company policies and procedure.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
• Analytical - Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
• Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully.
• Interpersonal - Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Friendly, out-going disposition.
• Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
• Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively. Able to read and interpret written information.
• Presents numerical data effectively;
• Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes tasks correctly and on time; supports Company’s goals and values.
• Adaptability - Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
• Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
• Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
• Judgment - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Displays willingness to make decisions. Supports and explains reasoning for decisions.
• Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
• Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
• Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
• Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in a timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
• Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Finance or related discipline
• 6 to 10 years of experience in industry accounting sector (Restaurant industry is preferred)
• Experience in US GAAP financial reporting and management roles, preferably with US public company
• 3+ years in position equivalent to a controller or higher preferred
• Great Plains (Dynamics GP) experience strongly preferred
• Strong leadership with challenging sprit and good team player
• Certified Public Accountant (CPA) with an audit experience is preferred but not required
• Knowledge of Microsoft Excel, word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Office suite must
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to communicate effectively with stakeholders across the organization
• Expresses thoughts clearly, accurately and precisely both verbally and in writing and demonstrates good listening skills
Native level English language skill required
Ability to interact with management in Japanese plus