Controls Technician - Hickory, NC
Supports the design and implementation of controls based solutions for start-up cable operations facility, from a controls & instrumentation perspective. These controls solutions will enable manufacturing systems to deliver and transform raw materials to product, convey ware between discrete processing steps, and/or measure and characterize ware created.
Provide controls and instrumentation skill & knowledge to the install, debug, and operation of various equipment/control interfaces.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Integrate field devices for flow control, material handling and metering, motion control, temperature control, and associated safety systems based the system design package enabling a fully-functional equipment platform.
- Work closely with controls engineers to implement control sequence logic (both time-based and event-based), fail-safe states, and process /equipment recovery sequences.
- Implement specified field devices to accomplish desired process / equipment functions, and compatible / compliant with site standards.
- Accurately estimate timeframe to complete assigned project work once scope of work is adequately defined and then complete work to agreed-to timeline.
- Participate in engineering project teams that are responsible to deliver robust, cost effective automation and process machine systems to Client manufacturing plants and processes.
- Work within project teams to support the solving difficult automation problems, resolution of project related issues, and development of fundamental understanding of technical / process requirements critical to system success.
- Drive the deployment of defined control architectures, control system standards, and system integration that will satisfy process and manufacturing requirements.
- Interface with external system integrators and machine builders to enable project deliverables.
- Actively participate in project fabrication, off-line integration and testing, drawings and documentation, installation, production start-up support, training of plant personnel, and technology transfer.
- Report to project leader on assigned project activities on a pre-determined basis.
- Minimum of an AS or AAS in an electrical or controls discipline.
- BS Electrical Engineering Technology, BS Electrical Engineering is acceptable.
Require Years and Area of Experience:
5+ years equipment/controls experience
- Experience integrating field devices for flow control, material handling and metering, motion control, temperature control, and associated safety systems into an overall controls package enabling a fully-functional equipment platform.
- Experience with PID control loop tuning and techniques.
- Experience working closely with IT & process engineers to implement control sequence logic (both time-based and event-based), fail-safe states and process / equipment recovery sequences.
- Experience with graphical user interface and human machine interface.
- Experience working within engineering project teams.
- Accurately estimates timeframe to complete assigned project work, once scope of work is adequately defined, then completes work to agreed-to timeline.
- Understanding of electrical design practices, machine / motion control systems, electro-mechanical systems, robotics, programming, and system integration.
- Demonstrated ability to support the development and delivery of fully integrated machine and motion control, automation, and process machine systems and solutions within a manufacturing environment.
- Familiar with state of the art technologies in the following areas: control systems integration, controls architectures, PLCs, motion control systems, electro-mechanical drive systems, robotics, part sensing, vision, risk assessment, and safety systems.
- Ability to work in a team based environment and lead or participate on a highly matrixed team.
- Possesses an understanding of general mechanics and ability to apply that understanding during troubleshooting and system implementation.
- Sound problem solving and decision making skills.
- Highly motivated, results oriented, customer focused, with a high commitment level.
- Must be able to program in ladder logic or equivalent.
- Experienced in the checkout and verification of electrical control panels.
- AutoCAD 2014, AutoCAD Electrical 2014, Windows7, MS Office suite including Power Point, Excel, Word
- PLC and PC based systems, Beckhoff PLC / Motion Control, B-R Control, Allen Bradley, iFix SCADA, and Automated equipment systems experience
- Manufacturing experience and ability to work in a manufacturing environment.
- Computer vision system experience.
- Experience with programming manufacturing systems using higher level programming languages:
- C++ or C#
- VB or VB.Net
- Familiar with the rules and regulation relating to implementation and best practices in electrical system design and implementation:
- National Electric Code
- NFPA 79 Specification
- NFPA 70e Specification
- ANSI and IEC electrical symbols
- Grounding and shielding of electrical systems
- Able to work with external machine builders and system integrators for build, and integration of later stages of system implementation.
- Personal Computers
- Fluke Meters, Oscilloscopes, and other electronic test equipment.
- Equipment used for machine installation activities: conduit cutting/threading/bending, man lifts, label makers, hand tools, etc.
- Electronic calibration equipment
- Precision flow calibration
- Programmable Controllers
- Personnel Directed By This Position:
- Oversee and provide direction to contract engineering techs, internal maintenance, and outside contract trades during scheduled shifts.
Desired/Required Soft Skills
- Works well in a fast-paced, plant start-up environment.
- Can acts and makes decisions for best interest of project
- Strong written and verbal communications and overall people skills.
- Embraces a collaborative team environment
- Resolve conflicts with peers, customers, etc.
Special requirements (Personal Protective Equipment, Certifications, etc)
- Electro-mechanical troubleshooting ability, proficient with electrical schematics
- Motion control knowledge: servo, stepper, DC, AC drives.
- Process variable understanding: flow, temperature, rate, pressure, level.
- Serial communication knowledge: RS232 / 485, Ethernet, IEEE-488
- Machine control knowledge
- Strong practical hands-on electrical aptitude (All positions require time on the floor working on equipment)edge and understands classical control theory
United States of America
Online / Full App
Folder Group ID
Apply for this Position
Job Title: Controls Technician
Location: Hickory, NC
Job Type: Temp Position
Reference ID: 354626
Posted Date: 1/31/2019